Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Graduation! (Almost ...)

Well, if not for many life changing events mostly beyond my control, I would have graduated on Sunday, May 18, 2008. I get the pleasure of another year of classes, and will now graduate in 2009. So, I packed up Sydney and we went to Bender Arena to see my fellow evening students graduate -- and to hear Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer speak. It was a great event. Plenty of parking, ample seating, and a crowd of parents pacing behind the bleachers with their kids.

Justice Breyer's speech was honest, humble and inspirational. One point he made hit me hard -- he essentially dared the grads to become public servants and have
families, and to change the culture of the legal world by demanding reasonable pay and a work-life balance. Kudos, Justice Breyer!

Sydney completely enjoyed every minute of the graduation. We cheered for Uncle John, Aunties Jen and Miriam, and the rest of the grads, and walked around almost the entire arena. Then we ran to the car in the rain, singing our ABCs and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider". You couldn't wipe the smile off of her face!

No comments: